Wow, that was off-topic.
Back in March, Lori started something she called Green Weeks and I jumped onto her bandwagon big time (and without asking). Luckily, she not only wasn’t pissed, but she casually mentioned an idea she had about a more formal Green Week challenge. Being the amazing stealer of ideas planner that I am, I jumped all over it.
What’s the deal? It’s the Earth Day Green Week Challenge. Earth Day, as we are all aware, is on April 22nd. I know that me and my readers are devoted to the utmost in green living…err…well, we are all devoted to the idea of green living. So, this challenge is for all of us. Its a little kick-in-the-pants to up the ante, so to speak. To take the proverbial plunge into eco-living. To…well, you get.
Wanna play along with us?
There are rules (I know, I know…but we gotta do it), but there are prizes too!! This challenge starts on April 15th and ends at the end of the day on EARTH DAY, April 22nd. Read on for the details
GREEN WEEK CHALLENGE RULES:
- There are 2 “tiers” of challenges. 1 Point for challenges on the 1st tier, 2 points for the 2nd tier.
- You can only do each challenge one time (can’t get multiple points for multiple loads of laundry, nice try though). But we do encourage you to do multiple challenges for an *Honorable Mention.
- For each of the challenges you do, post about it on your blog (if you have one) or email Lori or Katie with a photo (gotta have proof, ya know?). If you post it on your blog, please email Lori or Katie a link to that post. The post must include a photo of you doing the challenge!
- The challenge will run from April 15th through the end of the day on Earth Day (April 22nd).
- We will tally all the points at the end of the challenge and 2 people with the most points will win a goodie-basket filled with green prizes!
- Blog about the challenge on your blog before the challenge begins to spread the word and you can get an extra point!! Please link to this post, and email one of us the link to your blog post.
Want to blog about this? Pick your green goodness up right here. Yes, go post it to your blog, already!
copy and paste this code:
[a href=”http://runlori.blogspot.com/“][img src=”http://www.whatrunslori.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/challengelogo.jpg” /]
GREEN WEEK CHALLENGE PRIZES:
For all of your Earth-lovin’ efforts, there will be a reward. Since you send in your pictures, post a comment, blog your sustainable actions, and just do your way through the challenges, we’re keeping track. Your efforts will not go unnoticed!
*Honorable Mention is included in this challenge. To be eligible for Honorable Mention, we ask that you email one of us multiple challenge items that you have completed. There won’t be tangible prizes, but you get your name spread all over the Green Week Challenge!! That means you’re a do-gooder!
GREEN WEEK CHALLENGES:
- Wash clothes with cold water 1 pt
- Drink a green smoothie 1 pt
- Eat a vegetarian or vegan meal 1 pt
- Use cloth napkins 1 pt
- Make and use your own cleaning products (Recipes here!) 2 pts
- Use a canvas, or reusable, grocery bag 1 pt
- Plant a tree/herb/vegetable (indoors or out) 2 pts
- Shop at your local farmers market or buy only local produce for a day 1 pt
- Shop at your local farmers market/buy local for the next week 2 pts
- Take all batteries, old computers, DVD players, or other electronics to an electronics recycling center (keep hazardous substances out of the landfill) 2 pts
- Start a compost 2 pts
- Clean out your pantry and donate unopened non-perishables to a food bank 2 pts
- Walk, bike or take public transportation to work for the ENTIRE week 2 pts
- Carpool to work/store/gym 1 pt
- Make an Earth inspired meal using only whole foods- whole grains, fresh veggies and/or fruits, nuts, seeds 1 pt
- Get in touch with the Earth- try a yoga class, go for a walk without distractions such as your Ipod, meditate 1 pt
- Donate your time to a soup kitchen (good karma!) 2 pts
- Bring a reusable coffee cup on your next cafe run 1 pt
- Hang laundry to dry 1 pt
Earth Day becomes Earth Week. Mother Earth (and your grandkids) will thank us later.